Location: Greater New York Area
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The ideal candidate will perform all lab tests and act as liaison between reference labs and practice. Test and maintain all laboratory equipment, The position offers a competitive compensation package including medical benefits, dental, vision, PTO and 401K.
• At least 1 year of experience with working in a physician practice or hospital laboratory.
• Bachelors of Science preferred.
• Understanding of how to test and calibrate laboratory equipment.
• Experience performing laboratory tests.
• Working knowledge of Electronic Medical Recordkeeping systems.
• Licensed by New York State Education Department as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist is required.
• General knowledge of chemistry or medical technology.
• Familiar with the regulations and requirements for OSHA, CLIA and HIPAA and aware of the
compliance requirements as enacted by Federal, State and local jurisdictions.
• Experience working in a healthcare environment.
• Working knowledge of managed care basics, including laboratory contracting arrangements.
• Working knowledge of PC’s and Microsoft Windows.
Responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
• Sorts, spins and separates specimens for analysis.
• Cleans and disinfects the laboratory, sterilizing the instruments and the autoclave
• Keeps biohazard material labeled and properly emptied weekly, according to OSHA guidelines.
• Ensures all laboratory supply orders are correct; matches invoice data when supplies arrive.
• Ensures laboratory is properly stocked with supplies and that requisition slips are up to date.
• Ensures lab tests are run according to established policies, procedures and objectives of
• Logs and verifies results on electronic laboratory information record system.
• Collect and obtain satisfactory specimen samples.
• Correct processing of specimens in a timely manner.
• Perform tests authorized by the clinic lab director.
• Prepare and maintain supplies to efficiently collect specimens.
• Keeps laboratory supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
• Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
• Documents information by maintaining daily logs and equipment record books.
• Must have the ability to proficiently perform a variety of chemical, microscopic and bacteriological tests and procedures following established policies and procedures of the laboratory and requirements of accrediting and regulating agencies.
• Maintains patient confidentiality; complies with HIPAA and compliance guidelines established by the practice
• Maintains detailed knowledge of practice management and other computer software as it relates to job functions.
• Attends annual CPR, OSHA, and CLIA training programs.
• Tests and calibrates laboratory equipment daily
• Performs in-office tests and analyses requested by physician or clinical staff—reports results to provider in a timely manner
• Collects, freezes, and properly transfers laboratory specimens to courier—completes appropriate requisition paperwork for processing and billing
• Performs routine and special lab paperwork; works within individual insurance company requirements
• Maintains reference laboratory computer transmission equipment—sets up patient database for on-line ordering
• Ensures reference laboratory picks up laboratory samples daily
• Adheres to Compliance policies.
• Other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements/ Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to stand; sit; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or control; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
1. Incumbent will be required to work at any facility and be responsible for own transportation.
2. Incumbent will be scheduled based on operational need.
3. Standard office equipment including computers, fax machines, copiers, printers, telephones, etc.
4. Position is in a well-lighted office environment.
5. Involves standing approximately 80 percent of the day, walking or sitting the remainder.